Friday, September 2, 2016

Rust and Safety Masks


I have a new look, it is called "construction vogue". Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...

Day one of rust treatment. I attacked the rustiest spots on the floor with a metal brush attachment to the power drill. Supper satisfying since most of the rust is surface and buffs off with a bit of elbow grease. Not having done much rust removal in the past, I didn't quite realize the GINORMOUS MESS removing it creates. I was covered in a fine, red powder and spent the evening coughing up red dust. Don't tell OSHA, but I didn't wear a mask or goggles at first. My bad.

Day two of rust removal I went to our buddies at Lowes and grabbed the proper mask and glasses. I now know that wearing a mask and glasses in a 80+ degree bus SUCKS. Its hard to breathes and hot as a mo-fo.


After I got the flaky part of the rust removed, I treated the floor with rust converter. This stuff comes in a spray can and requires 2 applications within 20 minutes. It turns the rust a dark brown color and helps keep it from spreading. Also, if you decide you hate the stupid mask and spray the converter in a closed area your head might get a little...swimmy. At least, that is what a friend told me...I would never do something like that. Don't tell OSHA.



About half the floor is done in the bus, the other half is waiting until this weekend as we need to use a grinder to remove some rusted in bolts so we can sand and rust treat the rest of the floor. Then the whole mess gets a coat of Rustolium paint.

Then there is this issue with a heater...

No comments:

Post a Comment